College Baseball “Coach of the Year” Tasered After End-of-the-Year Softball Game

Dumbass Category LogoSo much “fail” in this story, so little time to tell it.

It all starts back on May 26, 2010 when Bryant University baseball coach Jamie Pinzino, 35, learned he had been named “Coach of the Year” in the Northeast Conference after BU won the 2010 NEC regular-season championship in only its first year of eligibility. That same day, Bryant was holding it’s annual end-of-the-year athletic department softball game. Sounds like a great time to celebrate, right? If you thought so, you’re not the only one.

According to police, about two hours after the cookout started, they were called to the school baseball field where they found Pinzino and assistant coach Andy Koocher, 26, allegedly intoxicated and brawling. When they tried to break up the fight, cops say the pair became aggressive and Pinzino had to be Tasered in order to get him to comply. As a result of that incident (and the resulting charges) both coaches have resigned.

Here’s more from the Providence Journal:

Pinzino, 35, was arrested on May 26 and charged with simple assault, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, all misdemeanors. He pleaded innocent at his arraignment on June 3 in District Court, Providence, and is scheduled to appear at a pre-trial hearing on June 15. The police also arrested assistant coach Andy Koocher, 26, and charged him with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors. He pleaded no contest at his arraignment and his case was filed for one year. Pinzino and Koocher resigned on June 9. Bill Smith, director of athletics, said the pair violated policies of mutual respect and professional conduct that are listed in the Bryant employee handbook.

According to Lt. Michael Rheaume, detective commander of the Smithfield Police Department, Bryant Public Safety officers responded to a report of a fight on the baseball field. Pinzino and Koocher appeared to be intoxicated and fighting and became “defensive and aggressive” when confronted. Bryant officials summoned the Smithfield police and said they wanted to pursue charges. The police arrived at about 7:45 p.m. and arrested the two coaches. They used a Taser to subdue Pinzino before arresting him.

Source – Providence Journal